User Status...

Developer
Jun 13, 2007 at 1:02 AM
Edited Jun 13, 2007 at 1:11 AM
is there is a function which gives you the user Status?
or returns with the user (Now Online Friends)?!?!

**Please Reply

Thanks all..
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2007 at 4:47 AM
What type of status are you looking for?

The only status that is available through the API is the status that the user sets. This is part of the user entity returned from the api calls.
Developer
Jun 13, 2007 at 6:01 PM
he probably wants IsOnlineNow status fields, which i dont think we have access to
Jun 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM
I'm not certain if this is a function FB has already or if you could create FQL call to get this information...?

Otherwise, If it is an internal app you could probably create something yourself to record which users are using the application by updating a datetime field in the database. Like an "Active Users" portion.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2007 at 6:21 AM
Yes, unfortunately at this point FB does not provide this information. They have a lot of policies around privacy (which is good for users, but not so good for developers).

They are always talking about/considering opening up more information. But, from my understanding, right now there is no way to get FB status. Like mmezzacca suggests. It is clearly possibly for you to handle it for you application itself, but true FB status is not currently available.
Developer
Jun 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM
Ok thanks all for helping,, that what i have thought before,,
FB does not provide this information,, i mean the (IsOnlineNow status fields)..
Jul 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM
Is there any reason why we can't update our own status? I can display it from facebookService.GetUserInfo().Status.Message, but that's read-only. I want to write an application that updates my Facebook status with the current music track I'm listening to...
Aug 13, 2007 at 6:02 PM
I'm with nbarnwell, I'm trying to write a similar app... any techniques for updating one's own status?
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 4:40 AM
Last time I checked it wasn't there in the rest api. I will add an issue and recheck on it.