Debugging FB apps?

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:19 PM
Has anyone figured out a way to debug a facebook app with Visual Studio? The problem I encounter is that after I start debugging, it has to bounce me to pick up an authentication ticket, and then doens't bounce me back to my local machine. How are others doing this?

Thanks...

-Ben
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 3:52 AM
FBML or IFRAME?
Sep 12, 2007 at 1:45 PM
IFRAME
Sep 13, 2007 at 2:22 PM
Yes, we are doing this.

You have to use the real IIS on the machine, not the default one and then redirect calls made back from facebook to your debug machine, typically using port forwarding on your router.

Good luck

KeithT
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:18 PM
Hey Keith,

Great to hear that you were able to do debugging. What did you use for "callback url?" Did you use "localhost"?

-Ben
Sep 18, 2007 at 2:10 PM
Hi Ben,

I presume you mean in FB for the callback url, in which case no.

You have to use a real IP that is accessible over the web, depending on your network setup this can be fixed or dynamically allocated by your ISP. If you want to find out your dynamic IP you can use the "shields up" website from grc.com (google it) and they will tell you. You then have to port forward from this IP to the internal network address your development machine, assuming you have a network behind a router.

Cheers

Keith
Oct 21, 2007 at 3:03 AM
If you have access to linux machine that is on a public internet then you can setup a reverse tunnel. Basically what this does is takes requests on the live server and directs them down to your development box. Of course you will need access to a linux box and you will need to install cygwin on your development machine. Assuming you have that done try something like this:

ssh -gNR port on live box:localhost:port where on your local box running dev serverurl or ip of live server

so it will look something like this:
ssh -gNR 8080:localhost:3047 myliveserver.com

I don't think this will work on a shared hosting provider. Also this might be possible to do a on a windows server if you can setup a ssh server on the windows box however I am not familiar with how to do that.

If you do have the right setup this works great.

Best,
Justin