how can i use FBML

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:47 PM
every time i mark my application to fbml not iframe facebook gives that error

Errors while loading page from application
The URL http://localhost/Space3/firstLogin.aspx is not valid.

There are still a few kinks Facebook and the makers of Ramadan are trying to iron out. We appreciate your patience as we try to fix these issues. Your problem has been logged - if it persists, please come back in a few days. Thanks!
Sep 20, 2007 at 1:56 PM
If you set your application settings to fbml instead of iframe then you cannot point to localhost anymore. The address you are providing is the one that facebook servers look at to fetch the fbml, and localhost to them is their own computer, not the visitor's one.

If you want to test it from your own computer you need to figure out a way to have the facebook servers find it: use your ip address (if static or at least not changing too often) instead of localhost or use a dynamic dns subdomain service to make it work.
Sep 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM
still the same problem with a real ip

The URL (my real ip here) caused too many redirections.

There are still a few kinks Facebook and the makers of festival are trying to iron out. We appreciate your patience as we try to fix these issues. Your problem has been logged - if it persists, please come back in a few days. Thanks!

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:23 PM
Edited Sep 21, 2007 at 2:29 PM
I am having a similar problem with the FBML example that comes with the toolkit, which I am running directly from the Facebook.sln with the only change being to set \AspNetPlatformSample\FBML\Default.aspx as the project start page.
I set up my router to port forward to my development PC for incoming TCP connections on port 49301 which is the port that the ASP.NET Development server is runing on and I also changed the CallBackURL in the Facebook application configuration to use my external IP rather than localhost.
However, after the application calls Response.Write("<fb:redirect url=\"" + FACEBOOKLOGINURL + _fbService.ApplicationKey + @"&v=1.0" + "\"/>"); in CanvasFBMLBasePage I just get a totally blank web page.
Incidentally, in the fbml.txt file that comes as part of the project it says that the default class should be made to inherit from CanvasIFrameBasePage, when I made this change (even though I was convinced that it was a typo) I did get a reasonable web page in return where all but the FBML tag was rendered correctly.
Any ideas as to where I am going wrong?
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:32 AM
Did you ever find the cause or solution to this problem?
I'm also seeing: "caused too many redirections" on a web site with a public internet address.
Oct 22, 2007 at 9:36 PM

danielflippance wrote:
Did you ever find the cause or solution to this problem?
I'm also seeing: "caused too many redirections" on a web site with a public internet address.

The last time I saw this, it was because I began inheriting from CanvasIFrameBasePage but forgot to convert the code to actually use the base page properties and methods. I was still doing all the login and redirection code in my codebehind, so in essense, it had two redirects -- one in the codebehind and one in the base class.