Error Building - Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Serializable' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:49 PM
I am trying to build the latest from source control but getting 27 errors, all the same:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Serializable' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\Projects\Facebook\FacebookToolkit-12679\csharp\Facebook\Exceptions\FacebookNotVisibleException.cs 11 6 Facebook.Compact

The Device Samples are also missing.

Anyone else having this problem getting the source and attempting the build? I would use the official release but it's from July and out of date.

Obviously people are making changes to the project and checking them in, I assume they build. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob Bazinet
Developer
Oct 23, 2007 at 7:08 PM
I've been making most of the changes to the code lately. What version of .Net are you running?

Also, there may have been some versions which didn't build when I forgot to do a build on the full solution, so you may want to make sure you have the most recent version.

I haven't been working on the Compact version, either (someone else wrote that), so your problem may be more related to that.
Oct 23, 2007 at 8:24 PM
I am using .NET 3.0.

I did get the latest and no luck. It appears it is an issue with the Compact version since I can build each project individually but the Compact one is the one failing.
Developer
Oct 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM
Hmm, I'm not too sure what's going on there. It all builds just fine for me, here. It could be that your version of the Compact Framework is out of date, but unfortunately I don't know offhand how to check that or find an update.

When you say the Device Samples are missing, do you mean that you can't even find them in a folder in Windows Explorer (the files just aren't there), or that they don't show up in Visual Studio (or whatever your IDE is), meaning that the project references are off? Looking at source control, all the device samples seem to be there.
Oct 25, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm also experiancing the same issue.

My setup is as follows:

========================

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.867 (vsvista.050727-8600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Standard

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 77633-235-2258632-41875
Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

Microsoft Visual C# 2005 77633-235-2258632-41875
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 77633-235-2258632-41875
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications 77633-235-2258632-41875
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 77633-235-2258632-41875
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005 77633-235-2258632-41875
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.867

Microsoft Recipe Framework Package 8.0
This package provides services to the guidance packages.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU (KB932232)
This Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932232

========================

I've also got the WM6 SDK's... I'm looking to target WM6 both PPC and SP

Would love to get the FB Toolkit working for WM :)
Oct 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM
I am experiencing the same issue. Was anything resolved with this? Would also really like to get some of these new fixes implemented. Thanks.
Oct 30, 2007 at 9:28 PM
I don't think so but not sure if it matters. If you build the entire solution you may get the errors but they are really only for the compact framework version. If you want to just develop ASP.NET apps then you will be fine by building just the projects you want in the solution and use the resulting .dll files.

-Rob

cedub wrote:
I am experiencing the same issue. Was anything resolved with this? Would also really like to get some of these new fixes implemented. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Great. Thanks, rbazinet. Makes sense.

rbazinet wrote:
I don't think so but not sure if it matters. If you build the entire solution you may get the errors but they are really only for the compact framework version. If you want to just develop ASP.NET apps then you will be fine by building just the projects you want in the solution and use the resulting .dll files.

-Rob

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:48 PM
I'm looking to target .netCF and would really like to start experimenting with the DLL's

Is there anything I can do to help?
Developer
Nov 2, 2007 at 2:01 PM
For now, I think the best thing would be to research that build error and see what's going on, since I don't really know how to reproduce it here. See if you can find out what systems "Serializable" is and isn't implemented on, then find out if there's a good fix for it.

Besides that, I guess just test out as much as you can from the .netCF version of the toolkit, make sure things work, and see if there is anything that hasn't been implemented yet that would be useful on the compact/mobile side of things. I personally don't have any specific plans in mind for that part of the toolkit, so other users may be able to give you some more suggestions.
Developer
Nov 7, 2007 at 6:38 PM
Hey, I found the problem! Turns out that in the Facebook.Compact project, the Debug configuration was set to use the NETCF compilation symbol, but the Release configuration was not. I'll check in the new version of the project in a minute, but I'm also trying to put out the release today as well (yay!), so hopefully this won't be an issue for most of you anyway.
Nov 8, 2007 at 6:06 AM
just got the latest source a few minutes ago, and i'm getting the type namespace 'serializable' issue too. i also had to get rid of the device project since that woudln't load up.
Developer
Nov 8, 2007 at 2:20 PM
There must still be some build configurations that don't have that variable set correctly. To fix it, right-click the Facebook.Compact project and click Properties. Choose the Build tab on the left. You should see a text box on that page with the label "Conditional compilation symbols". If it's not there, add the symbol NETCF. If there is another symbol in the textbox, you'll have to separate the symbols by semi-colons.

So, for example, my conditional compilation symbols looks like this: PocketPC;NETCF

Once that's done, try to rebuild the project. If that doesn't work, post back here and we'll try to figure out what's going on.
Nov 8, 2007 at 2:46 PM
hmm... mine has the PocketPC;NETCF already there, too.
Developer
Nov 8, 2007 at 4:28 PM
Is it still the line on FacebookNotVisibleException that's crashing for everyone? I know there are probably multiple errors, but is that one of them?