Desktop Application Poke\Message\Wall

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:41 PM
Hi,

I have developed a desktop application and I want the user to be able to click a button in my application to leave a message on the wall of there friend, or perhaps poke or message their friend. Is this possible? Having looked at the forums I think it might be possible with the SetFBML method, but have no idea if this is true, or what kind of string to pass to SetFBML to get it to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rob
Developer
Oct 24, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to post on a user's wall/send a message/etc. entirely through a Facebook app. I think Facebook would be too worried about applications spamming people's profiles. For now, there are a few alternatives:
  • forward the user to the page on Facebook which allows them to decide if they want to perform action "X", whether that be a poke, message, wall post, etc. You can prefill a message with text using this method, as well, but you just can't send it without the user going to the site. There's a little more information here: http://developers.facebook.com/documentation.php?v=1.0&doc=other
  • There are a few things that you can do through the Facebook platform to "advertise" your app, if that's what you're looking to do. If you're interested in that, take a look at SendRequest/Notification and, PublishStory/Action/TemplatizedAction

As for SetFBML, that only sets the markup for one section of a user's profile dedicated to that application. You've probably seen this before if you've seen users who have applications like custom walls, Pirate applications, sports team fan apps, etc. Also, it looks like it can create links just under a user's picture on their profile page, but I think that's about it. Hope that helps.
Oct 25, 2007 at 8:48 PM
Thanks for the response, that helps. I got a really nice setup using the stuff here http://developers.facebook.com/documentation.php?v=1.0&doc=other with a webbrowser control on the form. Thanks.