How do i use the patches in "source code"?

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Hi, sorry noob question.
how do i use the patches?
I have downloaded the most recent patch but i cant find any dll's in it, am i supposed to make the dlls myself? how? why?

Thanks
Developer
Oct 29, 2007 at 3:15 PM
When you say "patch", do you mean the full source code from the Recent Check-Ins page, or the stuff on the actual Patches page? I don't know much about whatever it is that Codeplex calls patches, but if you just got the stuff from the Recent Check-Ins page, you can build the dlls by opening up either the C# or VB solution in Visual Studio 2005 and clicking "Build Solution" in the Build menu. If you don't have Visual Studio 2005, just build it with whatever your usual method for building a .NET solution is. The dlls should be found under either the bin or obj directories of their respective project directories.

As for why, that's basically just how these sorts of projects work. The source code is stored somewhere where everyone can access it, and we assume that anyone who wants to use the development versions of the code is able to build it themselves. To some extent, it's done that way because usually most people who are using those versions of the code may intend to work on the code themselves. Also, it's just not really necessary to keep track of the version history of dlls, since you can't really see much difference in one version to the other just by looking at them. The version control on the rest of the source code gives us all that information. I guess the problem with this project right now is just that it's been a long time since an official release came out, but that problem should be solved soon.

Some open source projects do make nightly builds of their source code, but I'm currently not aware of any way to do that on Codeplex (other than just building and checking into version control). If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
Oct 29, 2007 at 3:55 PM
yeah i mean the full source from source control.

Unfortunately i'm using visual web developer and therefore cant open the .csproj or build the folder....

Any chance you can start adding the dlls for all us visual web developers???

Thanks
Developer
Oct 29, 2007 at 7:40 PM
I'll try and see if there would be a good way for us to do that. Hopefully a new release will be out soon, though, and this shouldn't really be a problem for much longer. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can download Visual C# Express, and that should be able to build it. Just be careful that you get the 2005 version and not 2008, as I think 2008 will have problems with the project file.