Canvas always loads for some but never for others... PLEASE HELP.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:39 AM
I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on this. I have an application that works fine for must users. However some users say that whenever they go to the canvas page the canvas section is empty. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?
Nov 5, 2007 at 3:28 PM
Have you noticed any similar situations between the users who reported the problems? Are they using a specific browser or platform, or were they doing something on your app that was different from what other users usually do?
Nov 6, 2007 at 12:53 PM
Thanks for your response. I haven't been asking about browser or platform (by platform do u mean OS?). I did ask one user to try on another computer. she said she tried several computers with different internet connections (i.e., first was on uni campas) but with no success. the app is pretty straightforward i think -- -- u fart on people. also these people say this happens before they do anything. the default profile fbml comes up fine. it's just canvas is blank. would it help if i sent u the code to my base canvas page (i.e., if u have the time or inclination to gloss over it)?
one other thing i noticed -- on the fb request stats about 1 in 10 requests show a request time around 100msecs and 101Bytes which can't be right can it?? Would this be related?
Nov 6, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Yeah, I meant OS, but now that I think about it, I don't think that would really make a difference. Go ahead and send me your code, and if I get a chance I'll look over it a bit. I doubt that I'll be able to find anything (since I really have no idea what's going on here), but it's worth a shot. Other than that, my advice is just to see if you can find some way to reproduce the problem on your own.

It sounds like the problem is that some users can access it all the time, and others can't get to it at all, no matter what computer they use - is that right? If so, maybe there's a problem on the FB accounts for those specific users. Maybe they didn't check a certain box to give your app permission to do something or other, although I don't know what it would be. Or maybe there's some FB privacy setting they have set that makes it not work. So like I said, keep looking into it, and see what you can find out.
Nov 6, 2007 at 10:02 PM
I had a similar problem when users had checked the "Looking for Networking" box in the profile section of Facebook. Once I updated to the newest libraries, it was all fixed. May be something to look at.
Nov 6, 2007 at 10:13 PM
Ahh, yeah, that's another thing. That "Looking for Networking" thing was a bug in the toolkit a little while back that threw an exception. As cedub mentioned, it's fixed now, so that may be your problem. In general, though, you'll want to check out the error log for your web server and see if there are any errors there that need to be taken care of.