Silverlight Connect login caught by popup blocker

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:15 AM

When I call BrowserSession.Login() from silverlight it causes IE's, Firefox's, and Safari's popup blocker to catch to Facebook login and display the popup blocking message.  This seems pretty tacky.  Is there anyway around this?  I've hacked up a method to overlay a div with the fmbl connect button over the silverlight app (no popup blocker from that), but this doesn't seem like a very clean method...

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Ah yes, set the correct param for the Silverlight object seems to have worked

<param name="AllowHtmlPopupWindow" value="true" />

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM

This did not work for me using Chrome, are you using something other than the fblogin.js file to pop the login box?

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

So i realized shortly after that the popup was still caught in Chrome.  In fact, it seemed different versions of different browsers would catch the popup.  

What i ended up doing (that i mentioned above) is used Silverlight to call a JS function which brought up a div with the fb connect button in it.  This seems to be the only way I've found to bypass popup blockers.  The fb connect button has a JS callback which calls back into my Silverlight app to continue the program flow.  It seems hacky, but again it's the only way I've safely found to not hit popup blockers.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM

OK, thanks for the info!

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

This is so dicouraging.  I've been spending the past week trying to make this work with native flow (click a button, and a Facebook dialog pops up).  I actually have this working in IE but in FireFox the script in Facebook's dialog window doesn't properly call back into the calling document properly.  As much of a hack as showing a DIV is, this appears to be the only viable solution.  I really wish this was prettier. :(