Passing parameters in URL

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:59 AM
Edited Mar 24, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Please pardon me if this has been addressed in an earlier 3.x post.

Environment: Windows 7, VS 2008 SP1, .NET 3.5, Toolkit 3.01, simple Canvas iframe application adapted from Steve Trefethen's 2.1 example (ported to 3.01), and the master page constructor (derived from CanvasIFrameMasterPage) sets RequireLogin = true;

I have a call to an .aspx page that I want to pass arguments to. The initial call looks something like http://www.foobar.com:81/facebook/Default.aspx?action=action1&value=actionvalue1

Facebook intercepts the call (no Page_Load event in ASP.NET) and presents a user login interaction. When the user completes entering their credentials, facebook calls the Canvas Callback URL http://www.foobar.com:81/facebook/

Notice the parameters are not available. (In any case, I want to set them dynamically when initiating each call...)

How can I preserve/pass the dynamically-created parameters to guide the remainder of my application logic in Default.aspx once the user is logged in?

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:35 AM

You pass them as you normally do.  I created a ConvertToFacebook function which takes a normal link whether it has ? or not and appends the facebook parameters.  So I create any link I want between my pages, then run it though my convert function and now my link has everything needed to work with the toolkit.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM
stringa wrote:

You pass them as you normally do.  I created a ConvertToFacebook function which takes a normal link whether it has ? or not and appends the facebook parameters.  So I create any link I want between my pages, then run it though my convert function and now my link has everything needed to work with the toolkit.

You have my attention!

When I make the call, the parameters are there. Facebook intercepts the call and the user authenticates. When Page_Load is called after Facebook authentication, they are not there. How exactly can I preserve them? Do you have a simple example? (Thanks in advance.)

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Authentication is a different story. 

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:15 AM

as far as i know, you have to work around facebook for that.  There are many ways you can do this.  I would hit my server before facebook.