WinForms Framework 2.0 - Question/Issue?

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Hey All,

This should be a pretty easy question for someone to shed some light on. 

We've been working on integrating Facebook functionality into an existing WinForms application written using the .NET Framework 2.0.  The functionality worked fine on all of our development machines, as they all have .NET Framework 3.0 installed.

However, our application is crashing when it's run on an older machine that doesn't have .NET 3.0 installed.  I could have sworn that the DLL builds listed .NET 2.0 when I looked at the properties.

This is a fairly large WinForms application and the Facebook functionality is only a small part of the application.  The application crashes on older machines when the user attempts to connect to Facebook. Initially, the application was complaining that the machine was missing PresentationFramework.dll.  After that was included, it was complaining about WindowsBase.dll.  After that was included, it just crashes.

My question is... Should we be able to integrate the toolkit into a .NET 2.0 WinForms application.  We made a conscious choice not to write the applicatoin in 3.0, as we didn't want to force users to download the .NET 3.0 framework.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this issue.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM
Hi Josh, Did you resolve this problem? This toolkit heavily depends on Linq which (AFAIK) is not supported on .NET Framework 2.0. Did anyone convert the source code to Framework 2.0? For desktop applications it is quite an obstacle to use later frameworks. .NET Framework version 3.5 is too large and version 4.0 which is significantly smaller, has a long installation time and requires a reboot Thank you, Gil