No longer an "official" Facebook SDK?

May 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Facebook recently updated a bunch of their web docs.  I noticed that whereas their list of SDKs included this one as being "officially supported" by Facebook and Microsoft, now there is no mention of this SDK at all?  I'm not sure if that really signifies anything since as far as I could tell Facebook never did squat for this SDK, but I found the omission worthy of comment at a minimum.  The old docs are still up so you can see they also left out actionscript and the salesforce.com sdk so maybe they are dropping everthing from their list where primary ownership really resides outside of FB

May 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Given the fact that the Facebook REST API is a thing of the past and will only be supported for backward compatibility this makes perfect sense. I think that a new, very lightweight sdk will emerge, either as a community effort or sponsored by Microsoft that will replace this one.

Our own strategy is pretty simple. For all new projects/refactorings we move to open graph using a very thin .net layer that handles authentication and makes use of the dynamic types feature of .Net 4.0 and gradually port everything else over once we have a clear understanding what works and what does not in Open Graph API.

Martin

May 17, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Check out the new Facebook Graph Toolkit project here http://facebookgraphtoolkit.codeplex.com/