Timeouts requesting FBML canvas page?

May 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I'm using version 3.1 of the toolkit to create an FBML canvas app.  I have a port open to my development machine and my canvas callback URL correctly set.  However it seems like some requests never make it from Facebook to my development machine, and I end up with a timeout on the canvas page.  The behavior is random.  Sometimes I'll see every request for 10-15 minutes, then they simply stop when I reload the canvas page.  

Has anyone else experienced timeout issues similar to this?

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Just read that facebook's timeout is 8 seconds.  If its true, I guess that would explain it.  There's a logical reason to not keep the users waiting for too long of course, but while under development it would be nice to be able to disable this.  Then again, maybe this isn't accurate...

****END EDIT****

I am seeing the exact same thing, just realized about 10 minutes ago that it was a timeout issue.  I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was, basically wasted the last two days on it.  No errors were being returned that correlated to the actual issue.  Here's a sample of a little test I did that causes the error every time:

var friendsIDs = Master.FBAPI.Friends.Get();

foreach (var frd in friendsIDs) {

var frdObj = Master.FBAPI.Users.GetInfo(frd);  

// this fails every time unless I uncomment the next line out

// basically it will try to get all of the user objects instead of just the first user

Trying similar code on different objects caused the same problem.  Weirder still, this happens after only like 10-15 seconds, so its not like FB is waiting for an eternity.  Going to search around to see if I can find some answers, but if anyone has any suggestions please don't be shy :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM
I've completely given up on trying to use FBML, and have switched to building an IFrame app. Life is much better now! --Eric