The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I am experiencing some problems accessing the facebook API. It goes through normaly sometimes but othertimes gives me a 500 error. Has this error been documented before. I assume it's a load issue on the facebook servers.

 

Thanks

 

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM

i am also getting thousands of these just today.

Is your problem occuring in the same place as mine, see http://forum.developers.facebook.com/viewtopic.php?id=63630 

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Same problem here.

My application gets a 500 error when calling GetAppUsersObjects().

Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

 

 

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Edited Jun 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM

see the "solution" here http://forum.developers.facebook.com/viewtopic.php?pid=240515#p240515

i am still using the old toolkit. if you are as well, this is what you must change:

 

        /// <summary>
        /// Builds the user profile for the list of users and returns the results as raw xml
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="userIds">Comma separated list of user ids</param>
        /// <returns>The xml representation of the user profile list</returns>
        public string GetUserInfoXml(string userIds) {
            Dictionary<string, string> parameterList = new Dictionary<string, string>(3);

            parameterList.Add("method", "facebook.fql.query");
            parameterList.Add("query",
                              String.Format(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, "{0}{1}{2}",
                                            "SELECT uid, first_name, last_name, name FROM user WHERE uid IN (",
                                            userIds, ")"));
            //parameterList.Add("query",
            //      String.Format(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, "{0}{1}{2}",
            //                    "SELECT uid, first_name, last_name, name, pic_small, pic_big, pic_square, pic, affiliations, profile_update_time, timezone, religion, birthday, sex, hometown_location, meeting_sex, meeting_for, relationship_status, significant_other_id, political, current_location, activities, interests, is_app_user, music, tv, movies, books, quotes, about_me, hs_info, education_history, work_history, notes_count, wall_count, status FROM user WHERE uid IN (",
            //                    userIds, ")"));

            return ExecuteApiCallString(parameterList, true);
        }

You will also need to comment out some code in

 

    UserParser.ParseUser(XmlNode node)

to accomodate the missing info

 

 

 

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM

I think it's a Facebook server issue. The server is unable to handle the number of queries passed. When I debug my calls they go through sometimes but not always. I started getting this today. My application was running smoothly for the last two weeks. Facebook should address this sooner or later. It doesn't seem to be a .Net Toolkit problem.

 

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Any one can tell me how to mininize this problem in current stage?

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM
you can minimize the problem with my solution. getting fewer items seems to work for me
Jun 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM

That facebook developer forum post is an interesting one, as I have found that I get the error when I pass a '+' symbol through in the url from the client end as it gets interpreted as a space where it shouldn't be.

This is especially the case when navigating pages with the passed time parameter which has the time differential as +0000;

I find that encoding the '+' symbol helps the matter - i.e. use %2b instead of +.

Of course, I get many, many 500 errors for apparently no reason at all, so if your issue happens in the same place as mine, rather that the posted link, try this instead :)

I should really document them all. But usually you can find out what the REAL problem is by copying your request URL into a browser address bar as it gives the Facebook error usually