Next Toolkit Release and Sample Applications

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:28 PM
A few questions for everyone.

1) What are some common scenarios that you'd like to see in a sample Facebook application using the toolkit? Are most people using FBML or just iFrames? Are people using Silverlight? Using the master pages? What things aren't clear to do that you'd like to see sample code for?

2) Does anyone contributing code or looking at the source use the VB.NET version? I'd like to organize the next release to fix any outstanding issues and implement some new stuff around pages, data store api and some other new methods. Maintaining the same source code in both VB and C# is kind of a pain. It makes updating more prone to errors and there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to keep updating the VB.NET source. I'm sure everyone contributing code can probably write in either language anyway. Anyone strongly object? If so, why?

3) More of a request than a question, but can everyone look throught the issues and vote for things to help prioritize? That or if you see an issue thats not an issue close it or comment on it. That would be really helpful.

4) If you have any recommendations about how things could be done better in terms of how the toolkit works, post it here. I'm interested in hearing suggestions about how to make it more usuable for everyone. Like what stuff is a pain to work with? Please be specific though. Saying "we should do it like this instead" is only helpful if you have some solid reasons why it would be better.
Feb 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM
  1. I am using MasterPages and FBML as well as iframes. Sample code should include FQL and error handling.
  2. imho VB can be dropped
  3. I am going through the issue list right now, but it's kind of a pain... There are a lot of 'issues' that are not issues but problems on the developer side. It would be great if someone takes the ownership for the issue list, cleans up, moves to the forum etc.
  4. linking the API code and secret on every single page is not very elegant. The web.config would be a better place, and when inherating it should be already there.

hope that helps,
Thanks for your work
Ueli
Feb 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Although only recently started dev process, I thought I'd provide some input

1. I am using FBML, although forsee masterpages and iframes being of use. sample code should include more in-depth use of the api, a few examples showing how to publish to news feed etc would be nice. e.g. http://facebook-developer.net/2008/01/21/how-to-successfully-publish-widespread-news-feed-stories/ but as per c#
  2. I'm also only interested in C#
  3. I'm afraid I'm too new to be all that helpful with the issues list
  4. I think more examples would be great, but again I'm not experienced enough to recommend alternative implementation, I think what you've done thus far is excellent :)

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:19 PM
1"linking the API code and secret on every single page is not very elegant. The web.config would be a better place, and when inherating it should be already there. "
i have always thought this.

2 marketplace api's

3. send email api's

4. a bebo conversion, i hear it is not that hard to convert php projects to bebo, but i dont have a clue how to do it for asp.net , is this someting you would/could offer?

more people working on this, is there any way you could employ the people who contribute the most on a part time basis to help keep this project upto date. as the other facebook toolkit seems to be a bit more kept... i do like this toolkit and feel a bit stuck when something breaks or changes,

i'll think of more and get back to you.
Mar 7, 2008 at 7:13 PM
anyone know a timescale for the next release ?
Developer
Mar 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM
  1. I am also using mostly FBML. Haven't tried Silverlight, yet. But I am keen on it. web.config placement f the app specific keys would be good. however, I myself am using a class to hold those variables.
  2. I am using C# version.
  3. Most current API's. Right now, I cannot find the users.hasAppPermission property for example. (I also agree to Tiradentes comment for issues)
  4. Full documentation and more example code snippets. Actually I generated using SandCastle Help File Builder, but some functions' definitions are missing.