Missing Facebook Controls in Toolbox

May 15, 2008 at 1:57 PM
I have added the facebook controls as per the documentation (Choose Items -> Facebook.dll & Facebook.Controls.dll), however the only controls that appear in my toolbox are PhotoAlbum, FriendList and UserProfile. Where are the others like FacebookService, EventList, FriendMap etc?

I downloaded the v1.6 binaries and used the Facebook.dll & Facebook.Controls.dll from the extracted directory.
May 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM
I have the same issue, I'm using VS 2005 Professional.
May 15, 2008 at 2:17 PM
Edited May 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM
I'm using VS 2005 Professional as well. Does the toolkit only work with Visual Web Developer 2005 perhaps?
May 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM

I'm having the same issue myself, I've tried both Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and Visual Studio 2005.  I even tried recompiling the .dll files from the source code but no luck.

Its not just version 1.6 doing this to me either, its all versions.
May 16, 2008 at 9:48 AM

What's strange is when you right-click on a toolbox tab and click 'show all' you can see the missing facebook controls but they are all greyed out.
May 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM
Yeah I noticed that too.

If it helps anyone out there who might be trying to recreate/troubleshoot this, I'm using Windows XP with the latest service packs, and I'm simultaneously trying this on my windows 2003 server with the latest service packs running IIS 6, .NET 2.0.

Both are having the same results.  I'm using Visual Studio 2005 on the XP machine, and VS Web Developer Express 2005 on the Win 2003 server.
May 22, 2008 at 2:54 PM
May 22, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Edited May 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM
I had this problem. however, you dont really need them. substantiate your user object in the code behind, grab / manipulate whatever friends you need, and pass them into the facebook markup FBML as per the documentation here . you'll need to make them into the right collections / lists first, but it's not too bad. the toolkit controls are useless really.

having read the documentation, I dont recall anything like a friendmap being included I'm afraid... those would be seperate apps developed by other people.
May 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM
Edited May 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Thanks for that, I may just have to follow your advice there instead.  Incidently I think the missing controls are only a problem when creating a web application. If I create a windows application the controls appear as they should.
May 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM
Really? that is a bit odd. cant say I've tried a desktop app, so not seen the other components.  I just kinda ignored the problem and went about it with FBML instead like I said!