How do I get the user whose page I am running on

May 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM
Ok, I'm a newb at this.  I just downloaded the toolkit and am playing with it.  How do I get some type of unique identifier (int32, int64, guid, string, or something else) of the user whose page my fb app is running on?  I'm currently running as a canvas application. 
May 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM

wallym wrote:
Ok, I'm a newb at this.  I just downloaded the toolkit and am playing with it.  How do I get some type of unique identifier (int32, int64, guid, string, or something else) of the user whose page my fb app is running on?  I'm currently running as a canvas application. 

Do I need to be using an FBML Canvas application with the toolkit instead?  I've found some apps that seem to be doing what I want to do.  I'm going to try that.

Wally
May 27, 2008 at 12:33 AM

wallym wrote:

wallym wrote:

Do I need to be using an FBML Canvas application with the toolkit instead?  I've found some apps that seem to be doing what I want to do.  I'm going to try that.

Wally

I seem to have had no luck in this.  I'm open to just about any suggestions.
May 27, 2008 at 1:40 AM

wallym wrote:

The application "Where I've Been" is doing exactly what I want to do.  How in the heck are they getting the info regarding who's profile/page the app is sitting in?  It looks to me like the GetUserInfo() and associated methods are getting information about the currently logged in user, so how are they getting the info about the profile/page they are sitting on?

Wally
May 27, 2008 at 7:35 AM
If I understand you correctly, you have an application, displaying itself on the profile, that can be viewed by any person allowed to see the profile. Then, your point is, I guess, to show something different according to who is seeing the page.
Well, in the first step, take a look at the fb:visible-by-* tags (FBML tags). Take into account that visible-by-friends is also visible by the owner, and the everything is visible in the code by everyone, so no personal data should be displayed like that.
Then the second solution is to use Mock Ajax, to display dynamically something. Then you still get your user info, plus another param called something like "fb_sig_profile". I am not sure of the name. Check it out.
Hope this help. Tschüß!