Concerned about support for changes in the Facebook platform

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:32 PM
Hello all,

I am unclear as to when and to what degree the Facebook Developer Toolkit will support the new changes to the Facebook platform.  I am aware that you are working on version 2.0, but you haven't yet given us much information, and, on the whole, I'm a bit concerned.

Here are a couple of questions that I have :

1)  Will version 2.0 of the FDT support ALL of the new changes to the Facebook platform, or just a subset?
2)  The new version of the FDT is scheduled for release August 1.  Facebook will be cutting over to their new platform within the week.  Thus, it looks like, until August, we're going to have to use the old version of the FDT against the new version of Facebook's platform.  Is Facebook's new platform backward compatible?  If not, will their cut-over break our applications?  Have you tested the current version of the FDT against the sandbox for Facebook's new plaftorm (api.new.facebook.com)?  Are there specific functions in the FDT that we should avoid using until 2.0 is released?

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM
I think I'm using 1.3 and currently when I add my application to the new platform it goes into an endless add loop. So we'll see.

Try your app for yourself:
http://www.new.facebook.com/
Jul 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM
Same problem here, with the last version.
Jul 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM
As far as I can tell it is because add.php is being depreciated by Facebook in favor of login.php. The FacebookAPI and FacebookService objects have the add.php URL built into them I think or it may be because of the changing sessions.
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM
I was able to remove the problem by using the following code in Masterpage.master (I'm using CanvasIframeMasterPage). Specifically the line MyBase.AutoAdd = False
However, I'm not sure if my application has full access as I believe the .setFBML failed (I know that is changing too).

Shadows Protected Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
        MyBase.Api = FACEBOOK_API_KEY
        MyBase.Secret = FACEBOOK_SECRET
        MyBase.AutoAdd = False
        MyBase.Page_Init(sender, e)
    End Sub
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:27 PM
That worked, thanks a lot.
Jul 25, 2008 at 12:30 AM
The platform will not be backwards compatable, facebook are just dropping and changing methods, they have documented the changes on hereh http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/New_Design_Integration_Guide 

Im not sure what route i will be taking as its stupid that the new .new developer kit isn't out when the php/ruby and python kits are ready to use.
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Just an update on 2.0:

We've re-archetected the way the toolkit structured to make incorporating new changes from Facebook as easy as importing the new xsd that defines the api, building it using Linq2XSD to generate the entity objects and parsers, and then writing new (~10 line) public methods in the Toolkit to expose the objects in the toolkit.