Can't Get ToolKit To Work in VS Express Editions

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:18 PM
I'm new to FB development.  Familiar with .NET but not a pro. 

Trying to do some FB development, I basically took the FacebookWebSample and published it, after adding references to the facebook.dll and Facebook.WebControls.dll.  I get the following error:

Could not load type 'Facebook.Entity.User' from assembly 'facebook, Version=2.0.3133.26782, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

I get an error for each component type that you can drag onto the gui.

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM
The web sample that you're using is from version 1 of the toolkit, which is not compatible with the 2.0 api .  We are working on an FBML (web) sample for 2.0, but we do have an existing desktop sample that shows how to call the 2.0 api.  Let me know if this answers your question.
Aug 5, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Hopefully that does help point me in the right direction.  However, I get an error immediately after dragging the friendlist onto the GUI.  I'll admit i'm totally new to FB dev.  But i'm not new to facebook or programming.

I'm going to check out the desktop app, I do think that will help.  Maybe I can just avoid using the friendlist control.
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2008 at 6:35 PM
One other thing that has been helping other users of the toolkit the projects themselves to the solutions and add references to the projects instead of the asseblies inside the bin directory.
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Edited Aug 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM
pwalke,
I appreciate your help, and attempt at a work around.  And I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but it doesn't seem that the new Facebook Toolkit is usable by Web Developer Express. Using the express version, I can't open the source projects to recompile.  Also, in express editions you can't reference another project, only already compiled items, so your last reply won't help my current scenario.

Can anyone use the new toolkit with an express version?  I have professional at work, but I am trying to be ethical and not use that at home.

wardito
Aug 6, 2008 at 9:05 PM
wardito:
I ran a build and posted on my blog if you want to try them out.
John
http://www.johnfhenning.com
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM
Thanks, cirrus1.

I've updated the release with these files