Important - to all using this toolkit - we are on our own, please reply to this post

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2008 at 12:55 PM
Hello everyone!!

This is trully an open source project - no MS backing
As some of you know, this is not a supported toolkit. It appears Microsoft has no intention in keeping it uptodate so we are on our own -

What does this mean to us?
Since Facebook is likely to change with little warning (in past they would depreciate features with as little as 2 week notice!), your application relying on the toolkit may stop working until the toolkit is updated. We, ie YOU will have to update it.

So what should I do?
I would very much like to know what is the size and type of community - How many ppl are actively developing applications using the toolkit and what kind of applications are these. It will benefit us all knowing who is active and who is not so that we can support each other. With the recent political view changes (, I was surprised to hear from only a handful of ppl - either there is very few of us, or everyone is updating the toolkit on their own...

I will start by posting my details (please reply with only the info you feel confortable sharing but the more you provide, the more we all benefit.)

Greg Balajewicz / BDA Entertainment
Actively developing a facebook game, Realm Of Empire (
- application currently in beta
- using toolkit 1.7 with a few small modifications of my own that are not checked in because I thought 2.0 will replace 1.7
- I am not well familiar with Facebook API. Looking for a toolkit that will abstract details allowing me to concentrate on developing my app rathern than interfacing with FB. Very concerned this is not a supported/sponored toolkit :) 
- no plans for any other apps at this time

Please keep this post to only this info. Lets have other, perhaps related converstations in seperate threads to keep this one clean
Oct 14, 2008 at 3:47 AM

I use 2.0.

My App its also a game and I plan on making lots of apps,
I love C# and dont like php that much so this is bad news if this toolkit is not going to be supported any more.

I use 2.0 because I thought 1.7 would no longer be suported but it seems that none is supported so....
I don't use much api calls in my app: friends.get , profile.setFBML, feed.PublishTempletizedAction and notifications.Send.
And of course the auth stuff that I dont really know how it happens.

I would be more than happy to contibute if we were to put up a team for maintaining the Toolkit or creating a new one.
The only problem its of course time... I have to work for a living, damn it!
If we where to do something about it, I would think going simple gives us the best chance to have a toolkit up to date.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:52 AM
Not sure how you're reading pwalke's posts and jumping to the conclusion that we're "on our own".  It just sounds like the guy who's been working on it all along is still going to be working on it... *shrug*
A goal of the latest round of work was to empower the community to become involved in the ongoing work on this toolkit to integrate with the ever-changing facebook api. The work that was sponsored by Microsoft in the last round was aimed at making this toolkit easier to use out-of-the-box and also lessen the barrier to entry to anyone implementing new changes to the toolkit. 

This project is deliberately hosted on Codeplex as an open source project.  We made a conscious effort to try not to host it either on Clarity's or Mircosoft’s web site.  You guys aren’t out there on your own in the dark.  I am still willing to be involved myself in this open-source project.  I hope others are also willing to step up to the plate and make this a kick-ass toolkit.

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:38 AM
In Greg's post he was talking about Microsoft specifically not backing the project.  The probable assumption is that he considered pwalke as part of the overall community.  Regardless, I think you nailed it when you said "the guy".
Oct 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM
revbones is right, its only people donating their time