Is anyone using v2.0 without problems?

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:02 AM
We are still on v1.6, and would really like to use some of the new features in 2.0, but given it is not an easy upgrade, we don't have time to test.

Is anyone using v2.0 without problems?  I know the documentation is bad, but does it work?

Thanks!
-a
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:49 AM
If you don't have time then don't bother updating to 2.0.  It takes a while to upgrade as EVERYTHING has changed plus some of the stuff just isn't in the toolkit at all.  It's about 90% there and is lacking certain features available for the new Facebook.

Have a read here on how some of us are getting simple things done: http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookToolkit/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=37723&ANCHOR#Post125416
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:26 PM
i am using v1.7 and godaddy.com as a host for my comicater app (http://apps.facebook.com/comicater). godaddy.com host environment is still .net 2.0. does v2.0 work with .net 2.0? also, i noticed that GetFriends() doesn't work in v1.7 for new facebook api any more. any idea of how to fix it? thanks.
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:31 PM
"i noticed that GetFriends() doesn't work in v1.7" - search the board, there is a solution for this
Oct 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM
I am using v2 without problems (except the cookie bug when sessions are disabled for which I wrote a fix in another post).
Oct 20, 2008 at 5:07 PM
yes, however not with all the functionality I would have liked. publish user action is missing, which is a pain.
Oct 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM
We had an app about to release when the chaos hit, so have been hurt by having to start again.

Due to the complete restructure of the 2.0 API and the lack of standard practice on the objects in the 2.0 release, i opted for retrofitting the older api. This version is nowhere near release ready, however it is working well and i am able to add new methods to use the new functionality well and at least have an old app operating as it was with little extra work.

1 important thing to remember is to add requirelogin="1" to any links to your app that you generate in feed links to ensure your app gets the basic info you counted on in the old platform.

The first 2 steps to try are use the API class from 2.0, renaming it to and replacing the FacebookAPI class in 1.7. Also do the CanvasFBMLBasePage and CanvasFBMLMasterPage classes from this version and you should be able to work with it.

I had to do another few tweaks and am working on a more robust, optimised version that will provide facebook server controls to replace the all-important link buttons that do not work on canvas pages and .NET styled objects to make it very self explanitory, but this will unlikely not be out for months, will unlikely be used for desktop and i am building it ground up.

The above solution combined with a bit of reading starting with: http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/New_Design_Integration_Guide
and tweaking will get your broken app working for the time being.

I believe the author of this project is a skilled developer, but simple things like lower case object classes and public properties really makes a retrofit a long and frustrating process if you are fully utuilising the Canvas page approach and not getting paid to make it work. Especially when you are not in a position to run the debugger on a live site to see what's going on.

Sorry, but starting from scratch is my preference at this stage.