does anyone have feed.publishUserAction working?

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Does anyone have a working version of the 2.0 toolkit that has working feed.publishUserAction?

I've been planning on using the new feed stories in my app and I have all my templates created, just to find out that the api doesn't support it! I should have known.....

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:57 PM
Just download TestFDTv2.zip from here:

http://www.ebswift.com/Wiki/wikka.php?wakka=FacebookDeveloperToolkit

That has a dll with that method, as well as a patch file with the method code.  Please see the thread 'simple tutorial for 2.0' for the discussion on that wiki tutorial page and issues/ideas relating to it.
Oct 22, 2008 at 7:41 AM
Hi Troy,

Thanks for implementing this missing method... I noticed in your sample, it has the comment "this does NOT quite work yet" with regards to the call to publishUserAction. Have you worked out what the issue is?

Thanks,
Ben.
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Hi there Ben, I won't take any credit for the method (I had no involvement at all); I only made the compiled DLL available.  I don't so much think that there is a problem with the implementation of the method in the DLL as I do with my implementation (which is not yet complete) in the aspx sample, which is why I included the comment.  I am hoping that we might get some feedback from those who developed the method in the first place.  Some clues are starting to clarify issues such as a 'once only' registration of the templates.  Any breakthroughs will be reflected in the tutorial I am hosting - I have a fullly working FB application but I am not holding back any discoveries.
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM
Thanks eb. I was checking that out last night just before you posted and I noticed that you werent too keen on that method. I'll try it out today with my fingers crossed.
Oct 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM
It looks like its working properly. I wish I saw your tutorial a month or two ago. It would have saved me a lot of time!
Oct 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM
Hey guys
I'm excited about the publishUserAction, but when I uploaded the new facebook.dll, I got the below error:
<code>
Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.
</code>

The permission was fine before (using the facebook.dll from 2.0). I'm working off a shared host through GoDaddy by the way.

Any ideas?

Developer
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:04 PM
I don't know exactly how the hosting works on GoDaddy, but it sounds like the server doesn't have permission to access facebook.dll (or one of the other assemblies). Check to make sure the security settings are configured correctly on the GoDaddy server for all of the files in your app.
Developer
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:05 PM
P.S. I've just checked in the code to implement this method, so it should be included in the 2.0 release.
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:01 PM
Probably not the best discussion thread for this but- the new release (23778) facebook.dll gives the same issue.

There was no problem with the permissions with the original 2.0 release dll. But each time I update to a new release of the dll it gives me the permission issue. I'm wondering what could have changed from the old dll to the new ones to bring up this problem.
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:22 AM
Troy's .dll works. In case it's helpful to anybody: I got my application working by registering the templates at http://developers.facebook.com/tools.php?feed= , rather than calling registerTemplateBundle programmatically. The interface will give you the template IDs you need to paste into your program when calling publishUserAction.  One little suggestion for the API - it should accept null as an argument for the list of images (instead of having to construct an empty list and pass it in).

Cheers,
Ben.
Developer
Oct 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Let's move any discussion of the SecurityException issue to the issue that's been logged. If you have a chance, could you please try out the suggestion I gave there?