Starting out - Version 1.7 or 2.0 ?

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Hi guys,

I'm just starting out with facebook development (FBML application) and I'm not sure if I should start out straight away with version 2.0 of the Toolkit or should I rather start with version 1.7 and migrate over to 2.0 later on.

My impression from what I've read in the discussion board is that 2.0 is not 100% stable yet, so I'm leaning towards 1.7. But I'm not sure if 1.7 is actually compatible with the latest facebook platform api etc.

If 1.7 is a viable option, what features will I be missing out on that's new in 2.0 ?
How much is involved in migrating an application from 1.7 to 2.0 ?

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM
Obviously I'm a little biased, currently being the primary maintainer of this toolkit, so take my advice for what you will:

I would strongly recommend using the 2.0 version of the toolkit. I'm doing my best right now to fix all known issues with it, so hopefully it should be stable for an official release sometime early next week. Also, I think migrating from 1.7 to 2.0 would be quite a pain. There were a lot of major architectural changes in the toolkit, so it would take a lot of work to apply those changes to your application.

As far as features, I think you'd be missing out on just about anything released by Facebook in roughly the last 6 months (ballpark estimate), including the new profile arrangement and some of the messaging systems. In general, the Facebook API has had quite a few breaking changes lately (which was part of the impetus to have a 2.0 in the first place), so you would have to work around those issues in 1.7.

Like I said, though, I'm biased, so take that with a grain of salt.
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:20 AM
thanks jschuster.

where should i get the latest 2.0 dll and project samples? there are so many links on the web, and i don't want to start with the wrong one. or i can wait for your new 2.0 release next week.
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Thank you for the quick response jschuster!

I'm quite happy with your recommendation, the reasons given make sense and it's good to see that the maintainer is actively developing on the project. Hopefully with time I can contribute back to the project.

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM
xiangchen, there's no already-compiled version of the latest dll - you'll have to get compile it from source. Just download the latest change set here: . You should just be able to compile that like any other solution. If you'd rather not do that, a new release candidate will be out soon.

Beyers, I'm glad to hear you'd like to contribute back to the project. After this next release comes out, other projects are going to take priority for me, so I'll be looking for other people to step up. I'm going to do my best to look over people's patches, etc., but I probably won't be contributing code on my own nearly as often.