.NET 2.0 vs .NET 3.5

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:45 PM
I am curious if there is a way to not have to use .NET 3.5.  I've searched but can only find information that says that .NET 3.5 is a must.  I would prefer to use .NET 2.0.

I've even tried going back and using older releases but they don't seem to work.
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM
It's required because the toolkit uses LINQ, which is only in 3.5.
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Thanks.  Well, I guess consider this a request oh powers that be.  I don't know all the reasons why they chose to go with LINQ.   The .NET 3.5 service is, as far as I know, rarely used or needed on any Windows computer today.  It will probably be very common (maybe) once Windows 7 comes out.  I would think that making a component to serve today's needs would be better.

It should be obvious that anyone can write their own API to interface with Facebook's web service. So I guess it is fair to say that I or someone else out there could write their own component that doesn't utilize .NET 3.5.

For anyone concerned about the bloated 200 MB .NET 3.5, I would suggest they consider the client-only version.  I believe it is somewhere around 50 MB in size.  There are lots of ASP.NET things that can be taken out for anyone wanting to target desktop development only.