Compiling 1.7

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Hi

Thanks to clients I have a need to create an FB .net app in .net 2.0.  I could spend forever going through the spec at Facebook figuring out what I need to do but there again, I could be lazy and use the work already established by someone else.  And that's where version 1.7 of this toolkit comes in (hopefully!).

Ok so my needs are basic - I need to be sure the user is logged in, and I need to use setFBML to establish the canvas FBML code when the user hits the Add to Profile button.  So far, no problem.  I have the code set up using the 1.7 DLLs referenced in my VS2005 project and it all works fine, except of course because of the new profile layout in FB the setFBML call in 1.7 doesnt quite work as required.  I need to be able to add my FBML to the user's profile, so I need to set the "profile_main" option in setFBML, which doesnt exist in 1.7.  So I figured I'd play around with the source code in 1.7 and see if i could compile a new version specifically for my own purposes to allow me to do what I require.

Unfortuantely, by just opening the csproj file in the Facebook folder of the 1.7 source code and hitting compile, I get a slew of compiler errors along the lines of:

"Facebook.Entity.PublishImage.ImageLocation.get' must declare a body because it is not marked abstract or extern   \csharp\Facebook\Entity\PublishImage.cs"

The compiler stops after reporting 300 such errors.  Looking at the code it's not hard to see why:

"public string ImageLocation { get; set; }"

No body declaration for the accessor and so lots of nasty errors.

Am I doing something really dumb here or missing something obvious, or is it the case that the code provided through 1.7 and perhaps others can't readily be compiled by Joe Average?  Is there something I can do to make it compile?

Any help would be much much appreciated.  Client getting cranky (client always cranky)

Cheers!

Lee
May 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM
Nevermind, in the end I decided to butcher the code from the 2.0 project for just the areas I needed and managed to get it to compile without much issue. Time to bill the client :)