Enhancements/Features for Next Release?

Coordinator
May 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Sorry to everyone that I have not been able to keep with this product over the past months.  I got swamped with another project.  But, I have some time now and would like to try to get another release out the door.

Can anyone looking for features/enhancements please respond to this thread or post Issues? 

I am hoping to formulate a plan over the next couple days.  Also, if you just need some doc on how to get going, let me know and I can include that.

Coordinator
May 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM

As a starting point,

Here is my plan:

1. Review all the existing api functions and unit tests.  Make sure everything is working and tested by the test suite.  (Let me know if anyone knows of functions that aren't working.

2. Review Smiley sample application and verify that features are working.  Compare with php smiley to see if any new features need to be added. Build doc that describes that app and process for setting up your own canvas app that leverages the various integration points.

3. add support for missing apis.  Here is my list of what seems to be missing.

• admin.getRestrictionInfo
  • admin.setRestrictionInfo
  • admin.banUsers
  • admin.unbanUsers
  • admin.getBannedUsers
  • auth.revokeExtendedPersmission
  • commnets.get
  • fbml.deleteCustomTags
  • fbml.getCustomTags
  • fbml.registerCustomTags
  • links.get
  • links.post
  • notes.create
  • notes.delete
  • notes.edit
  • notes.get
  • status.get
  • status.set
  • stream.addComment
  • stream.addLike
  • stream.get
  • stream.getComments
  • stream.getFilters
  • stream.publish
  • stream.remove
  • stream.removeComment
  • stream.removeLike
  • users.getStandardInfo
  • users.IsVerified
  • video.getUploadLimits
  • video.upload

4. Review Facebook connect support and update if necessary.

Please let me know anything else that people need or are looking for.  I'd like to publish 2.1 sometime in the next week or 2.  So, we can close the gap on all of this missing functionality.

Developer
May 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Awesome, glad to know you're doing some work on this. Overall, I think the Issue Tracker still has a bunch of open stuff there that probably needs doing.

Some of the documentation is really out of date, so it'd be great to get that updated. Also, there might be a better format for it then a Word doc - maybe some HTML pages, possibly that we could put online?

Also, I have a few patches and things that I haven't gotten around to reviewing that I could probably send your way. I'll take a good look at what I have sometime tonight and get back to you on that later on.

May 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM

The tool kit has provided a nice way to alter an existing desktop application created in VS2008 so that FB users can log-in to use it, but I am tearing my hair out to better understand the code-behind to acquire the FB profiles, friends, etc. and wire my app and existing MS SQL data tables to FQL.

The lack of documentation for 2.0 makes it tough to use, as the examples found online are usually from 1.6, and seem to use different DDLs.  Maybe it would take up too much time, but it would be immensely helpful to have a list of the items in each of the DLLs.  I found an outdated example here: http://www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_misc/gamesandfun/article.php/c14515__2/ that at first seemed helpful, but alas was for version 1.6.

Thank you for your hard work!

May 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM

One area I have struggled with is the Publisher interface, specifically interacting with the user in that pane.  I have been able to make pure client-side javascript work, but so far no luk with ajaxified controls like, say, a ListView with an attached DataPager.  I am preparing a post to put up with sample code of how I am working witht he publisher.  I haven't seen much support in the framework for this area but I am rather new to it.

-David Carnley

ACTIT Consulting

Omaha, Nebraska

402-330-5419

May 21, 2009 at 12:47 AM
Edited May 21, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Wow! Great news, I've been waiting for an update!!

Further to your list, could you add:

sms.canSend

sms.send

And change the photo ID parameter to accept string values (because some photos belonging to events, groups etc. have funny IDs like 2416592435_-3).

So, for example: public IList<photo> get(string subj_id, string aid, List<string> pids)

Finally, a method to call new API functions would really help, seeing as it is updated so fast. Something like API.call(string methodName, Dictionary<string,string> parameters, bool addSessionParameters).