Documentation?

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I have to say - the documentation on this project leaves a lot, a LOT, to be desired. The official links point to some other website which features a handful of trivial examples which explain little. How are we supposed to develop commercial Facebook apps with what seems to be little more than someone's weekend hobby project? I spent the last few hours cobbling together a hello world from no less than 10 articles and forum threads. Searching the forum for specific questions leads me only to countless unanswered posts, half-explanations or tailchasing cross-thread linking.  Is this the extent of Microsoft's official Facebook support??

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Shukri, I recently went through the same process I think I have every .NET Facebook blog post ever made bookmarked.  And I still just ahd to figure a lot out on my own. but now I am proud of my accomplishment LOL

I have posted some sample code and hope to add some more to the wiki.  That's what wikis are for, so anyone can add information, so if you have something working that you want to share go to the .NET section of the wiki and put up a page even if it is just a discussion post :)

for example http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/CSharp_InLine_Publisher

If I can help please post any specific questions here and I will try to put together a sample to help.  Currently I am working on using ajax in publisher in-line interface windows to handle a multi-page list view or data list.

I think the hardest thing about getting started is that 90% of the articles out there are out of date.

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:57 AM

I don't suppose you'd like to put together a publishTemplatizedAction sample for posting to the feed of a Page?

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Thanks Davidcc. I've seen your helpful posts all over the forum.

Right now I'm still trying to figure out the basics of the toolkit, so I'll soldier on alone for a bit until I'm really stuck with no way out. I'm making progress, but it's slow :) My main reason for posting so far was just to add my voice to the chorus of people complaining about the lack of documentation.

- Shukri

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I am planning on putting together a brand new getting started guide this week (sometime in the next day or two).  It is tough, because there are many directions to go.  But, I agree with David that a big part of the problem is that much of the doc/articles is not current and really is misguiding.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM

rpowers119:

I would REALLY appreciate some very simple "getting started" documentation.  As you can see from my comments in January there is simply no usable documentation and my time spent on this project was a complete and total failure.

To compensate I have had to learn PHP and enough JavaScript to get two apps running.  I would have greatly prefererd to use C#.  Now I'm beginning a very large application so I'm revisiting this package.

I agree with those who have been reading 10 articles - there is a lot of old and inaccurate information out there on the net.  This package must work since folks are using it; however, there is simply no documentation to help new users get started.  Add to that, the demos provided don't work!  (With one exception.)

It would also be GREAT to have some VERY simple demo applications: for example a simple "facebook connect" authentication (including MD5 hash) would be wonderful.  Also, a simple applicatiion that obtained data from facebook - such as the user's name - and made it available in the C# application rather than just as a display variable in an FBML page.  Once again, please keep this stuff VERY simple - no need to pepper it up with lots of add-ins like fancy css, master pages, LINQ, etc.  "Hello World" is a great level.

I would suggest several small projects - ideas that quickly come to mind are:

1) How to install

2) Implementing Facebook Connect

3) Connecting & retrieving facebook data into ASP.NET / VB / C# variables

4) Built in functions - friends/etc.

Since you're doing this in the near future I hope that others will suggest topics ASAP!  Now it the time folks!

I truly wish that I could help at this point - and I promise I will contribute if I can get something working!

Today I'm back in "PHP world" to get another fb-application on-line.

Fred

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:21 AM

In your wiki post you wrote :

When a user has added your app they can see a link to your app in the Publisher on their own wall or on their friend's wall. When they click this link button FB makes a call to one of 2 URLs specified in your application settings: one URL for clicks originating on your own wall, and the second URL for clicks from another's wall.

Could you provide sample screen captures with drawing of this ?
I never saw this kind of link ...

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

You probably have but don't realize it :)  I'll add image to the wiki page, I don't see how to add it here.

edit - I don't seem to be allowed to upload images to the wiki either.

Try this - go to your Facebook Home page.  Click in the box where it says "What's On Your Mind"-  the text box expands and some new links appear under it.  See those links under the text box? That's what I'm referring to.

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Quick follow up on this.  I am planning to give the doc a quick clean up as part of Version 2.1.  But, i am also working with some people at Microsoft internally on Version 3.0.  Part of that plan is a bunch of better samples and doc.  Version 3.0 is probably about a month away.  I'll do my best to get the doc that exists for the current version improved.