ASP.NET Hosting for Facebook API

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:18 AM
Hi, I know this is kind of off topic but I really want to get an application I made hosted somewhere. I have tried GoDaddy and unfortuntaley they tell me I can't use third party references. Does anyone know a place i could get my application hosted that is reasonably inexpensive?
Jun 23, 2007 at 8:32 PM
Have you tried

Also, I have a dedicated server... How much resources does the app take up?
Jun 25, 2007 at 9:33 PM
I use

And have been very happy with their service.
Jul 3, 2007 at 11:11 PM
Hi guys. I have taken your suggestion and setup a hosting account at I got it all setup, but I am getting the same error that I got at Godaddy. Do I have my project setup incorrectly?

This is the error I am getting:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Facebook.WebControls' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>
Line 2:
Line 3: <%@ Register Assembly="Facebook.WebControls" Namespace="Facebook.WebControls" TagPrefix="cc1" %>
Line 4:
Line 5: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "">

Source File: /Default.aspx Line: 3

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Facebook.WebControls' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:53 PM
If I am correct, the above error message is telling me that the application cannot find the dll's needed for the facebook API. I checked the bin directory of the application and the files are definitely there.

Why can it not find the dlls?
Have I configured my project wrong? It works fine on my local machine.
Is the server not setup to allow third party dll's like the Facebook ones?
Do I need to have a dedicated server to run this application?
Jul 5, 2007 at 1:31 PM
Hmmm. I have never used But, I agree the error seems to be that your web project is not finding the dll in your bin folder.

I would just make sure that Facebook.WebControls is in your bin. And that your website is configured to run framework 2.0. I would then contact support at aspnix. Or read their help.

I use personally. I am not running a facebook app on there. But, I can try for you if want. I was thinking about doing it today to verify some ajax assumptions that we found anyway. Let me know.
Jul 5, 2007 at 4:37 PM
It would be sweet if you could try a facebook app on there. If it works, please let me know how you setup your project so I can give it a try on aspnix.
Jul 5, 2007 at 5:03 PM
I just tried it on and it worked fine.

Basically all I did was copy my compiled ASPNETPlatformSamples project up to my website directory on

It includes:

In the root, the web.config and SilverlightService.asmx

In the Bin, Facebook.dll, Facebook.WebControls.dll and SilverlightWebServiceClient.dll

In the App_Code, IFrame and FBML directories - exactly what you see in my code drops.

Everything worked.
Jul 5, 2007 at 6:55 PM
So i figured out my problem. I needed to make a virtual directory for the app in the aspnix web admin for my domain. When I installed the application in the root dir it worked fine. I then made a virtual dir for the app and moved it in there, and now it works. YAY!!

Thanks for everyones help!
Jul 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Cool. Makes sense. It wouldn't find the Bin that was a subfolder of a subfolder. So, when you add a new virtual directory. That can have its own bin.

Glad it worked out.