Profile Box content generation how-to

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:37 AM
I am new to Facebook integration,

1. I would like to create a facebook application that would display a diagram (image) and some text on their profile (profile box). Different users will have different image and text on their profiles, based on application logic, is that possible?

2. What API should I use (or should I use canvas aspx like Default.aspx in FMBL sample) to create such content for the profile box?

3. Will the facebook store profilebox content once generated for a user, or there will be a call to my application website each time the profile box is displayed?

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:29 PM
You can do what you want from any application type. The SetFBML function is used to write anything related to your app into a user's profile. The FBML that you are write will stay there until you change.

To decide what type of app you want, you just need to figure out how you want users to use the app. Like, I said you can write your info to their profile from any application type.
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:20 PM
rpowers119, thanks for your response.

General idea: I want the users to use my application and display its output on their profile.
Ideally, their profiles will store my outputs, so I do not need to store the outputs on my side to display it each time the users browse the profiles.

Question: If my FBML is cached there, can I retrieve it back?

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM
you can retrieve the profile fbml assoicated with your app for a specific user using the getFBML call.

But, we don't have a wrapper for it yet. I will be adding it this afternoon or tomorrow.