HELP installing facebook source and/or binaries

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:03 AM
right. Ive installed visual basic express, and ive downloaded the facebook development source and binary files. now...

a) where do i extract them to

b) how do i then get them into my toolbox

if ANYONE can help id be greatly appreciative. ive searched all over and nowhere actually TELLS me how to do this. good going microsoft! :P they dont even put it in the bloody documentation.

thanks! :)
Aug 10, 2007 at 8:02 AM
Hi there,

You can extract the binaries to anywhere in your filesystem. In visual studio, right click in the toolbox and select "Choose Items", then select "Browse" and navigate to where you extracted your dlls. This will add them to your tool box. If you want to include them in your project, right click on your project in solution explorer and select "Add Reference". Then select "Browse" and navigate to your extracted dll's. This will include the libraries in your website project.
Aug 11, 2007 at 4:17 AM
awesome! seems so easy but i cudnt find that anywhere. lol. thanks heaps!!!
Nov 25, 2007 at 5:42 PM
I can't find a single .dll file in my facebook directory (i used the windows installer on a vista)
Nov 27, 2007 at 1:59 AM

can anyone assist? I have added all the facebook.dll's, but when I try and add a <fb: tag to my .aspx pages I get:

'unrecognized namespace 'fb'' and it won't compile?

What am I missing?

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:28 AM
Alxandr- Did you run the installer or just pull down the files?

Burty- Did you run the installer for Version 1.5?
Nov 28, 2007 at 3:49 AM

thanks for the response. It's all ok now. I needed to inherit the CanvasFBMLBasePage using: public partial class _Default : CanvasFBMLBasePage. I also needed to insert 'using Facebook; and using Facebook.WebControls;. Only issue - and it's pretty major - is I've now realised that you can never see FBML mark-up while trying to generate a canvas page using your local machine (ie local host). To render it, it appears Facebook needs to pick up your page (and <fb: tags) from a server. If anyone knows a way around this - ie to be able to see your rendered FBML without having to use a server - it would be greatrly appreciated.

thanks again,
Nov 28, 2007 at 4:46 AM
I used the installer... And sorry, forgot to tell but I found the files... They were just in a totaly different place than the source...