unable to connect back to facebook?

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:55 PM
Hi, I had a working facebook app using this cool toolkit. Then I moved my host to godaddy and I have a strange error. It was fbml based but after I moved it to godaddy it always timed out. So I put up a vanilla IFrame page and converted the app to IFrames. This page does nothing but do the template IFrame app minus the getFriends call. In the IFRame I can now now see the error and call stack. It looks like on page_load the facebook toolkit is issuing a web request back to facebook and facebook is either not responding or godaddy is not allowing my app to go out to the internet. According to their documentation godaddy is running asp.net in medium trust mode, but they have modified the web restrictions to allow external access over http so this should work. Does anybody else have any ideas or experience with godaddy? I have the economy windows hosting package.

Line 27: base.Api = FACEBOOKAPIKEY;
Line 28: base.Secret = FACEBOOK_SECRET;
Line 29: base.Page_Load(sender, e); <---- THAT'S the line that I'm on
Line 30:
Line 31: if (!IsPostBack)

Stack Trace:

SocketException (0x274c): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) +1028066
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) +33
System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) +431

WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream() +1532269
Facebook.API.FacebookAPI.GetQueryResponse(String requestUrl, String postString) +180
Facebook.API.FacebookAPI.ExecuteApiCallString(IDictionary`2 parameterDictionary, Boolean useSession) +140
Facebook.API.FacebookAPI.IsAppAdded() +61
Facebook.Components.FacebookService.IsAppAdded() +107
Facebook.WebControls.CanvasIFrameBasePage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +835
Default.PageLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\hosting\sqlgeek\sqlgeek\Default.aspx.cs:29
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +34
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:30 PM
I moved my application to another server (not a good host, but wide open) and it works still as expected. It looks like for whatever reason I cannot make outbound connections back to facebook from a godaddy windows host. I am negotiating with their tech support to see if there is a solution.
Sep 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM
All better now. Godaddy phone support fixed up their outbound proxies.