FacebookNET vs FacebookDeveloperToolkit?

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:04 PM
I've been using Facebook Developer Toolkit for awhile now, and have only recently discovered another Facebook project on Codeplex: http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookNET. After browsing through it, I feel that given more time, this could be a better alternative to FacebookDeveloperToolkit. The features that are immediately obvious to me are:

• ability to set api key and secret in web.config instead of having to set it in the Page_Load of every page in the project.

• web control (FacebookApplication) that handles communications with Facebook. you can set the api key and secret on the control at design time. and, you can place one of these on a master page so that all of your pages that use the master page can take advantage of this control. calling base.page_load and having all my pages inherit from CanvasIFrameBasePage gets annoying and seems like a very clumsy way of handling it in comparison.

• not losing the Facebook frame for IFrame applications constantly. I tested off of IIS 7 on my computer, and I had this problem with Developer Toolkit whenever I saved changes to my page. also had this problem randomly when I deployed to a remote server. could be just me being ignorant of some other considerations, so I can't say for sure.

FacebookNET seems to me like a far more elegant implementation. On the downside: there is no way yet to programmatically redirect to another page in an IFrame application. Hopefully this feature will be added soon. There is another web control called FacebookHyperLink that allows navigation between multiple pages in an IFrame app, but I believe that is it for now. I'm hoping that with a little more time and some additional community support, FacebookNET will mature even further. I encourage you guys to check it out.

Sorry if this was an inappropriate post for the forum, I didn't mean to make it sound like an advertisement.
Sep 8, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2007 at 10:59 PM
can u give me any document about facebook.net
Sep 10, 2007 at 10:47 AM
documentation based on source comments is available upon request. message me.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 5:13 AM
facebook.net is developed by another employee at Microsoft. It is definitely an elegant approach and will be a good product for some people. If there are specific limitations of our approach. Let's post an issue and we can address it.