Api.Users.GetInfo() doesn't return any private info from own account.

May 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I downloaded FDT 3.1 Beta to use on a simple desktop application. Problem is that it doesn't return any private information from my own account I logged in with. My code is:

public void connectToAPI()
        {
            string apikey = "a";
            string secretkey = "b";
            string appkey = "x";
            List<Facebook.Schema.Enums.ExtendedPermissions> permis = new List<Facebook.Schema.Enums.ExtendedPermissions>();

permis.Add(Facebook.Schema.Enums.ExtendedPermissions.offline_access);

session = new DesktopSession(appkey, secretkey, apikey, false, permis);

session.Login();
        }

public string getInfo()
        {
            string permis = session.CheckPermissions();

Facebook.Rest.Api restapi = new Facebook.Rest.Api(session);

Facebook.Schema.user u = restapi.Users.GetInfo(session.UserId);            

IList<Facebook.Schema.facebookevent> eventlist = restapi.Events.Get(session.UserId);
            string tempevent = "";

foreach (Facebook.Schema.facebookevent e in eventlist)
            {
                tempevent = tempevent + e.name + " ";
            }

string result = "" + restapi.Users.IsAppUser(session.UserId) + " "  + u.profile_url + " " + u.sex + " Naam " + u.name + " Location: " 
                + u.current_location.city + ", " + u.current_location.country + ", " + u.birthday_date
                + tempevent.Length;

return result;
        }

There is some other code, but this is the only relevant part. Result does not return the birthday_date or just a regular birthday. The list of facebook events is also empty. Could someone help me?

May 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I have a similar problem. I am trying to get birthday for all friends. I am using the beta verson of FDT (3.1). Were you able to resolved the issue?

Developer
May 24, 2010 at 3:59 AM

Look in migrations in your fb application settings and see if you have new data permissions enabled.  If you do, then you may need to use the new authorization and not the old way.  I have not tested the new allow with a desktop app yet, so I cannot help you on that part.  We are playing around with the silverlight and the new allow, but i think that acts a little differently than desktop apps.

May 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM
I have resolved the problem by making use of the new Facebook Graph API instead of the old REST API. It works a lot easier. Send the user in a webbrowser-element to the authentication website. Fetch the session-key and authorize with it and the extended user permission. Then do your requests with the examples on the Graph API site. It's a bit more work, but ultimately a lot easier and more rewarding.
Jun 11, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Hi Slowghost,

Could you please post some source code or a more detailed description of what you did to make this work.  Thanks!

- Henry