Is 2.0 Stable? linq to xsd alpha?? wth is wrong with MS?@?

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:35 PM
I am using the old toolkit still and i am afraid to move to the new one.

Why? because it appears MS, in their febal attempt to promote linq, sponsors a bit of the developement and then leaves us out to dry. Open Source??? yes, MS .net developers are some vibrant open source communit!....  wth is wrong with MS? they pump millions into facebook and then can't even sponsor a toolkit from start to end?

So like I said, i am afraid to move to the new toolkit and wanted to ask a few questions:

1) how many of you use the 2.0 vs 1.7 toolkits?
2) for those using 2.0 how stable is it? How different is it from 1.7? is 2.0 and 1. 7 mostly the same interface?

3) TO THE DEVELOPERS/CLARITY consulting - can you guys give us some background, frank info as to the future of this development? Is there any commitment from MS to continue to keep this uptoday?
3a) It appers LINQ to XSD is only in ALPHA release! How stable is it?? what will happen when it goes to beta/release and things change? will MS pay for the upgrade or are we on our own?

The reason for my hesitation and anger is that I am responsible for a serious application for a corporation that does not pumpt hundreds of thousands of dollars into applications based on apha releaes toolkits (linq to xsd).
Sep 17, 2008 at 4:29 PM
hi, I was kind of expecting such things from day 1 check this: http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookToolkit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=10736 looks like not much people paid attention to this. I am still using 1.7 with temporary fixes.I have no plans to move 2.0 before seeing it is stable.
Sep 17, 2008 at 7:40 PM
I know my company would pay to have a stable, supported toolkit.
Sep 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Ersin - could you post your temporary fixes or let us know about them?  Are you working with the 2.0 Facebook API?
Sep 18, 2008 at 9:25 AM
Edited Sep 18, 2008 at 9:26 AM
I am using toolkit 2.0 RC2. It works and I have a working project. (Not quite live yet though).

Microsoft are not responsible for including LINQ to XSD in this project, there is now NO input from Microsoft on the project, (as far as I'm aware) so if you were under this impression you've been misled. They had a hand in creating it, but that's about it.

Also, I've not had any trouble with the LINQ to XSD stuff, once the dll's in the right place. Given it's included with the project, I wouldnt worry about it changing too much.

There is quite a big difference between 1.7 and 2.0. Reason being, Facebook has changed quite a lot. Make sure you are familiar with all the changes to the facebook platform, which api keys require sessions, what they're done with infinite sessions etc. New toolkit makes use of masterpages to hide away most of the connection stuff.

The resultant code is much tidier now, if you follow the example FBML project, or the tutorial in the last link I provide it should give youa good start.
You will not be able to just replace your 1.7 dll's with 2.0 ones.

There are however, a few things missing:

profile.setinfo (http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookToolkit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=10364) which allows you to set stuff in the info tab.

But most essentially for me:

feed.publishuseraction (http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookToolkit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=11223) which allows you to push news items to users news feeds.

As for fixes / workarounds, there are a couple in this thread http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookToolkit/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=34981
Sep 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM
Thanks for the info Zeus, but, the question still remains - is MS behind project still or are we on our own.

no matter who is behind linq to xsd, its still in aphla... its bound to have problems...
Sep 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM
I agree with your second point, but it does make implimenting new portions of the toolkit easier in the future, should facebook change again (which they will). I think the main idea behind it was to encourage more collaborative input.

I consider this project MS endorsed, as opposed to MS built. Clarity are still developing, but we are essentially without any input from MS.