FBML master pages not working

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM
Hi guys,

I'm still debating if I want to write my app using FMBL or IFrame however with the latest release I cannot get any FBML app built or running. I've tried the sample itself and created a new web application (not web site) using FMBL and nothing is working. I just get the "Error while loading page ..." from Facebook.

I can take the same code and get the IFrame working (with modifications to the aspx pages). Just can't get FBML working. Anyone got a sample that does work or know if there are problems with FBML and the toolkit?

As an aside, anyone with a preference to IFrame vs. FMBL? With IFrame there's a heap of work to make it "look" integrated with Facebook and there's issues of scrolling, but it seems like a better choice. Don't know if anyone has arguments for/against it?

Thanks.
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM
Edited Nov 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM
I've chosen FBML over iframe. you can still use .net controls on the page, and use them to control what fbml you're rendering where.

As you've said, doing so makes it much easier to maintain the look and feel of facebook throughout your app. 

I guess it depends how complex your page is, but my preference would always be to use the native markup.

I cant really see any advantages to using an iframe, but then my app is not functionally complicated.
Nov 19, 2008 at 4:53 AM
Edited Nov 22, 2008 at 10:43 PM
Has *anyone* got version 2.0 of the toolkit working with FBML and master pages? I can't get the demo or any sample I create to work. IFrame works fine, FBML just doesn't render (or call back to Facebook). I'm running VS2008 on Server 2008 using the built-in web server. I'm about to ditch the toolkit or maybe switch to IFrame as I can't get this to work. Thanks.

Update: I was able to get fbml working but only when I deployed to the server (rather than running locally). I suspect it's windows 2008 server (which is my desktop OS) is blocking the requests fbml/facebook is making. IFrame works fine on localhost.
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Hi bsimser

Can you tell me how you got FBML and master pages to work? I was working with FBML pages and everything was working perfectly, but then i switched over to master pages and content pages and the trouble started. I'm getting "Error while loading page ..." from facebook :/

Thanks in advance.
Feb 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Zeus,

I agree that using the native markup is typically also my preference, but I ended up using iframe for the app I'm busy developing purely because of the lack of 3rd party javascript library support in facebook. Probably because I've been spoiled with JQeury and being too lazy to implement it on my own using FBJS. In example a simple image carousel would have to be implemented from scratch using FBJS which seems a waste of time if I can just use jcarousel of something similar.

XFBML is obviously still available under iframe, even though my experience with it has not been that good. Lots of instability and strange behaviour all over the place.