Facebook Chat API

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Hello to everyone, does this library enables you to acces the Facebook Chat API ? If it does, how can I do it as I don't find any documentation on how to do it.

Or if this library can't access the Facebook Chat API , is there any other library that does ?

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I wasn't aware that there was a Chat API. From what I'm seeing on Google. it looks like all that's out there are just a few unauthorized hacks. Is there a specific API you're referring to?

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Ok, take a look at this project and its features : Visual Sage I want to achieve this one :

Chat with your Facebook friends

• Chat with your online friends online and offiline.
  • Offline message will send to their facebook notification box.

Here's a screen shot of the app running

Thanks a lot for your response.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM

From what I can see, there's no actual Facebook chat API that Visual Sage is using. It looks like they actually just built their own instant messaging system for themselves, and are using Facebook user IDs to identify users and transfer messages. Specifically, they note that if a user is not using Visual Sage, you can't chat with that user, which means Visual Sage is definitely not using the standard Facebook chat mechanisms. The only actual part of this I see that's actually using the Facebook API is the offline notifications, which I'm sure are just a call to notifications.send.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM

thanks for your response, so basically there is no Facebook Chat API ?

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Wow, sorry, I completely forgot about liveMessage.send, which you just mentioned on another thread. So yes, that is more or less a chat API for Facebook. For anyone else who happens to stumble on this page, the docs are here: http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/LiveMessage.send

Also, the new discussion on using it in the FDT is here: http://facebooktoolkit.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=62384

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM

All I'm missing is how to listen messages that are being sent to my app, any clues ?