Debug (Step through) code?

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to step through the codebehind for an FBML project? If not, how do people do any debugging? It would be great to be able to step through and see variables as you go (much like you can with a regular project).

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I have done it a bunch of times. What problems are you having? With FBMl it's a little trickier since Facebook needs to call your machine. I just set up my project in facebook to call my IP and I put my machine in the dmz or route port 80  (or whatvever port iis is responding to for your app) to it. Then you can just call and if it's running in debug mode you'll get the breakpoints. You also need to ahve your project run in IIS since the built-in dev server won't be acessible to remote requests. It's easiest to just change your vs project to use a virtaul directory in iis and then configure facebook to access those urls. Facebook only gives you about 10 seconds to respond to a request thought so while debugging you can keep going, but facebook will just return an error in the browser since it you didn't return a request in time. Does that make sense?

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds easy enough. I'll give it a go!