Very simple VB.Net

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM

guys I am completely lost without documentation, as does not seem to get any love around here. I just need help with the simplest of operations, hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Using VB.Net (2008) and the new FBDTK 3.0; I would like to ensure the user is logged in and then display his facebook username in an iFrame.

just that simple :) I should be able to carry on from that. Any takers?

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I see a lot of people who are new to FB trying to cram the FB round peg into whatever square hole you want to carve into your app.

But that's not the best way to go about it.

Go to the Facebook developer wiki and read aobut FB Connect, what it is and what it is not, look at how they intend it to be used, then figure out if "ensure the user is logged in and then display his facebook username in an iFrame" is the appropriate architecture for a FBConnect-enabled site.  maybe it is, maybe it isn't...

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM

fb connect is not what I am looking for, I am looking for help to start off with an iFrame page. all I am trying to do is learn, and I cant seem to figure out how to get started with

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM

sorry, misunderstood - you want to build an iframe app page running as a FB app.  That is the one style of app I have not done :(

How much of the facebook developers wiki have you read?  Many answers are there.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I have looked at the Wiki which I find to be nothing more than a dictionary, there are no steps or samples at all to assist me in building my FIRST facebook application using let alone

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Have you seen this??

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM

yes, C# example using fbdtk 2.0 I think. Actually most of the stuff out there is outdated. 

Either way picked up a couple of C# books, it may be time to learn a new language.