Are IFrame apps supposed to render <fb: tags?

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM

It is my understanding only when the fb app is set to FBML will it process the <fb tags.

However, in the examples for IFrame, both show the usage of <fb tags like <fb:name and <fb:Wall. 

In the Login iframe example it encloses the tags with a <fb:Fbml set, but either way while the api calls in the example work, none of the fb tags are translated and just render out as themselves. 

My question is for an IFrame app, what is supposed to be the intended behaviour and usage of the <fb tags?

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it is the correct behaviour.

Thanks!

Phil

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:12 PM

There are only a certain set of XFBML tags that can be rendered in the Iframe.  I would suggest you look at the Facebook Developer Wiki

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I verified <fb:name> is one of them, and is also included in the iframe examples.

The samples, though, also had the fb:Fbml tags, which I guess are part of the SDK?

As far as the xfbml tag not working, I take it all the other javascript includes and the call to FB.Facebook.init need to work?

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM

you have to remember to use the server tags & script (for javascript) tags and I'm pretty sure you need facebook connect working. 

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Stringa:  Thanks, you got one part solved!  

For those others that are also not seeing XFbml tags rendered right, make sure you set the "Connect URL" under the "Connect" tab in your fb app settings.  

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:16 AM
interneko wrote:

Stringa:  Thanks, you got one part solved!  

For those others that are also not seeing XFbml tags rendered right, make sure you set the "Connect URL" under the "Connect" tab in your fb app settings.  

Yip. This solved my problem. If you are developing locally, the Connect URL should point to http://localhost:[port]/  or if it's deployed to your server, it should be the URL where it is hosted.  I made the mistake in setting the Connect URL to point to the Facebook Url.  I hope this helps